Last week I talked about things that are good to have in place before writing your book. This week I want to give a short list of what I worked on and, what I’m still working on for the launch of my book on August 14, 2019. However, before I get to that, let me share some things I had to do before my book was printed. I used Reedsy professionals for all stages before getting the book printed at BookBaby.
Before printing my book
- Had to decide if I wanted to do my own marketing and PR or work with a publicist. I am doing it on my own. It’s a lot of work!
- Formatted my manuscript into a word document and sent out to the editor. I highly recommend hiring a copy editor.
- Had the book proofread by many people including a professional editor.
- Had my cover design and interior layout done by a professional– Again, I highly recommend hiring a professional. I went back and forth for months on fonts, interior layouts, different ideas for the cover picture, color scheme and back blurb format.
- If you plan to produce an ebook, hire a professional to produce it. Be certain they do so in whatever format necessary for your ebook production/publishing team – ePub, Word.doc, Word.docx, PDF, etc. I used ePub.
- Researched metadata keywords and other descriptions to help interested people discover my books. I utilized my book cover/ interior/ebook designer for this service.
- Sent the final draft to BookBaby and had a prototype done to see what it would look like.
- Once I was happy with the look of the book, I ordered more copies and uploaded my ebook for them to prepare it to send out to bookstores around the world – Amazon, Kindle, Barnes and Nobles, Gardner and others.
Two months before launch day
This week I finalized a number of things to begin my two-month marketing campaign leading up to launch day in August. Here’s what I concentrated on.
- Gathered a street team from friends and other connections. I sent them an advanced copy of my book so they can read it to leave a review at launch time.
- Introduced my friends at Goodreads to my book.
- Sent my book out to sites so I could garner reviews. Reedsy Discovery and BookBaby provide this service if you publish with them. Additionally, I sent out to Readers’ Favorite and received three reviews that produced two (2) 5-star reviews and one (1) 4-star review.
- Decided on the photo to use for some of my social media platform and decided that this coming week I need to finalize any additional marketing photos.
- Set up my pre-orders online with retailers that I am selling through – BookBaby, Amazon, Kindle etc.- and started notifying and directing my Instagram, Facebook and Twitter followers to those sites.
- Checked in on some of my street team regarding their reviews and will check in on everyone this coming week.
- Prepared a letter to O, The Oprah Magazine to send along with a copy of my book this coming week.
- Began talks with the audiobook team.
- Had a book signing.
I hope you’re enjoying my updates. In addition, I trust the information is useful, if necessary.
Please leave a comment and rate if you’d like. However, if you’d like to leave me a message, just click here and scroll to the bottom of the page.Thank you! Have a great week!